Sunday 29 January 2012

Stoat


While on a shoot today I saw a little brown thing run behind a rock, and run up on to the top of a large boulder on the beach. I had no idea what it was but I thought it could of been a stoat or a weasel. I sat down behind a small boulder and waited. I made some squeaking sounds with my mouth and sure enough, after about 20 mins. I saw a little head of a Stoat appear from a crack in the rock face. He was so inquisitive and when I made a noise he looked round at me and came down further.
Unfortunately it was heavy rain and was really dull light. He did come right out in the open however the rain caused the lens to not focus correctly.

I might go back to the same place, to see if more time will get me some better images. Im not sure if they have a large territory? or are they likely to be in the same location? some info would be great.



It was awesome to see one and a first for me.

3 comments:

  1. Don't know anything about stoats Sam but this is a lovely image with the stoat showing a lovely inquisitive and scampering pose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam, we have a stoat in the side part of our office grounds (trees and long grass). I don't know if they're territorial, but they certainly hang around where food is available. I have never seen an animal pounce with such ferocity, and I felt sorry for whatever it was it tracked down, but I also felt lucky to look out of the window at the right time. I love this picture of it, I just wonder what it has in its sights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous shot Sam. Fingers crossed you get lucky with him again!

    Simon

    ReplyDelete